Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rainbarrels and water conservation

On this rainy day in Los Angeles I am inspired to blog about my rainbarrel. The city of Los Angeles recently installed a rainbarrel on my property as part of its rainwater harvesting program (http://larainwaterharvesting.org/)



With the rainfalls we have been experiencing this week, my rainbarrel is overflowing and I have directed the excess water to a part of my garden where my fruit trees are. It is amazing how fast the barrel fills up with torrential downpours.

Here is a picture of my barrel. There are various spouts on the barrel that allow you to direct over flow or attach a hose to water your potted plants.


Thank you Los Angeles for providing this program!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! Well done for getting involved and letting the city do this.
    I have more ideas for recycling rain here:
    http://blog.yardfairy.com/2009/11/recycling-rain.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks yard fairy! I will have to follow your blog too.

    ReplyDelete