Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sulphur Butterflies

Last year I almost cut down my Cassia bush, hoping to make way for some native plants. It is also such a fast grower that pruning is such a chore. Then I thought about all the bees that like to visit this plant and the nice winter color this plant provides my garden.


This summer was very mild and the Fall has been very warm. About three weeks ago we had a heat wave and Sulphur butterflies have been swarming around my Cassia bush. I noticed that they were actually laying eggs on the developing buds.

Well, having just raised some Monarch butterflies, I decided to try raising Sulphurs.  Here are a few pics of the caterpillars that I have been raising.  The color of the caterpillar is determined by the part of the plant they are eating.  If they eat the flowers, they are more yellow.  If they eat the leaves, they are a more greenish color. 




As I was cutting flowers for the caterpillars I am raising, I noticed that one branch had a chrysalis on it.  It looks so much like a leaf, it is amazing.  Hopefully there will be a butterfly in about a week.




I am glad that I did not cut down my Cassia.  Eventhough it is not a native, it is helping out our butterflies and other insects so it is worth keeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment